EUP Regional Science & Engineering Fair Results
Posted by Julie Coneset on 12/8/2020
The EUP Intermediate School District (EUPISD) and EUP STEM Region held the annual EUP Regional Science & Engineering Fair for grades K-8 virtually on December 4, 2020. Schools that participated in this event were: Cedarville, Sault-Lincoln Elementary, and Sault-Washington.
This year, 38 students advanced from local school district Science and Engineering Fair events to represent 31 projects in the first virtual regional event.
Science reasoning is considered a critical 21st Century skill and engaging in the scientific process through activities like Science and Engineering Fair enhances those skills. In fact, regional state assessment data indicates that schools that participate in Science Fair score higher on both the Grade 5 and Grade 8 science assessments. The EUP STEM Region has worked with EUP teachers and Lake Superior State University faculty to expand the science fair in the last four years to include engineering projects in addition to science. This has been a positive experience and work will take place to improve the event for next year.
Students were asked to present their ideas, methods and results and to discuss their overall project. Judges then evaluated the project based on pre-set judging criteria. The judging panel consisted of members of our local community, governmental entities, LSSU faculty, BMCC faculty, as well as EUPISD staff. Although all the projects were great, and it was a difficult decision for judges, the following students placed in the top three:
- 1st Place: Elizabeth Dombrowski (Sault – Washington)
- 2nd Place: Makenna Bumstead (Sault – Washington)
- 1st Place: Westin Bailey (Sault – Washington)
- 2nd Place: Maeby Chipman-Bergsma (Sault - Washington)
- 3rd Place: Group Presentation - Phoebe Hatch, Gabbie Honnila, Tessalie Heckman (Cedarville)
- 1st Place: Kenzie Dovick (Sault – Lincoln)
- 2nd Place: Margaret Kapuscinski (Sault – Lincoln)
- 3rd Place: Lizzie Kemink (Cedarville)
- 1st Place: Lucas Hjerstedt (Sault – Lincoln)
- 2nd Place: James Reid (Cedarville)
- 3rd Place: Grace Barr (Cedarville)
- 1st Place: Frank Chipman-Bergsma (Sault – Lincoln)
- 2nd Place: Jordan Meilstrup (Sault – Lincoln)
- 3rd Place: Kinley Brady (Sault – Lincoln)
- 1st Place: Eliana “Lia” Frank (Cedarville)
- 2nd Place: Eleana Honnila (Cedarville)
- 1st Place: Ross Pearson (Cedarville)
- 2nd Place: Group Project - Kayden Kiefer and Jackson Barr
Congratulations to all students that participated in the EUP Regional Science & Engineering Fair, and the School District Science and Engineering Fair events this year. GREAT JOB!