Portfolio Requirements for High School English/Language Arts
What Is a Portfolio?
A portfolio is a limited sample of student writing that reflects his/her achievement and growth over time and includes evidence of self-reflection. The student should choose original pieces that represent his/her growth as a writer.
Portfolio Components: 12th Grade
Seven pieces of writing, including:
1. Personal -- Narrative, persuasive, or descriptive
2. Literary -- Literary Criticism (College Prep)
3. Research -- An assignment with proper documentation
4. Fictional Narrative
5. Poetry – Student or Teacher’s Choice
6. Resume/College Essays/College Applications/ Scholarship Applications
7. Reflective -- Describes the author's growth as a writer
Reflective Piece Description and Rubric
The reflective piece describes a student's opinion of his/her growth as a writer over the course of the school year. Using the Six Traits or the "traits of good writing," a student analyzes his/her development as an author. Reference specific evidence from the seven selected pieces to support his/her claims.
Portfolio Accommodations for Special Education
Accommodations must be given in accordance with the personal curriculum, Individualized Education Plan, or Section 504 plan. For specific accommodations and/or modifications, see the personal curriculum modification document.